Friday, January 18, 2008

Even in death, Britney Spears dominates the media’s attention

No, Britney Spears isn’t dead yet, but I did make you click on this article, did I not?

Spears managed to receive two blog posts today, one regarding how AP has started to work on her obituary last month, in anticipation of her death. According to AP entertainment editor Jesse Washington, "We are not wishing it, but if Britney passed away, it’s easily one of the biggest stories in a long time."

The second article states how Britney Spears has told family and friends she intends to marry her paparazzo lover Adnan Ghalib in a Scientology marriage ceremony, and continues to discuss her instable state, her latest problems with K-Fed and her children, and so on.

I hope this disgusts you as much as it disgusts me. I was pretty disappointed in myself when I clicked these blogs (although my excuse is that I try to read through all my subscribed posts), or when I picked up and flipped through a magazine titled ‘BRITNEY’S BREAKDOWN’ last weekend at Meijers. (No, I did not buy it) But this is the power of social pressure and the desire to conform. Knowing that Britney Spears will come up in some dinner conversation or casual chit-chat, I had to arm myself with some information. The mainstream media managed to tell us ‘what’s interesting’, and we follow those suggestions even though we all know how pathetically useless it is to know what Britney Spears’ latest problem is. Not unlike Nazi or GDP propaganda, where people knew the information they were given was wrong, but acted like they believed it; here, we know the unimportance of this type of news, but we pretend to care simply because other people around us seem to, or are pretending to do so. It’s scary how much power the media wields over us.

In a sad but true line, the author commented that “[Britney] certainly puts Iraq to shame.” Why…

5 comments:

Caitlin.mcgill said...

They are already preparing her obituary!? Oh my goodness! Talk about exploiting her death! Can you imagine if someone was preparing your obituary? When you were in the 20's?? How sad!

Luke said...

I agree that it is extraordinarily sad how much attention we pay to our pop stars. While stories about our stars have their place, when they replace knowledge and stories about more important issues, however "boring," this emphasis on pop culture becomes a problem.

Bethany said...

When I hear about Britney's life it just makes me sad. Who would go to such an extreme to have an obituary made? This lady needs help and she needs it fast!

Regarding her popularity, I find it amazing that someone who is so sick gets so much publicity and press, and everyone accepts it! Why are we drawn to her stories and life? Instead of showing her over and over again on the news, shouldn't we be showing starving children in Africa, or homeless people? Aren't these people worthy of help and attention too? Britney shows us the power of media-the ability they have to attract people; we choose to watch her and therefore, continue to see her story fill our tv screens. Maybe we too are the ones who need some analyzing...

Haley said...

Britney is such a sad story,and it seems to only keep getting worse and worse. I can't believe there are people who are already writing her obituary. It is astounding! wow.

Lars said...

It is terrible that crazed pop stars get more attention than really important issues, like the war in Iraq, abortion, the economy, taxes, etc. But these issues are all complicated and hard to understand. Most people don't want to take the time to have a good understanding of them. Things like Britney Spears are easily understood and semi-entertaining, so we pay more attention to them.